Martin J. O'Hara
Marty concentrates his practice on commercial litigation and the defense of professionals in malpractice actions.
Earlier in his career, Marty served as a law clerk for the Honorable Michael B. Getty of the Cook County Circuit Court, Chancery Division.
A frequently published author, Marty contributed the chapter “Plaintiffs’ Attorneys Seek Significant Recoveries Through Professional Liability Claims” to the book Best Practices for Addressing Professional Liability Claims. He currently writes the "Professional Liability" column for the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel's IDC Quarterly. He has also published articles in the John Marshall Law Review and the ABA’s Judges’ Journal. Other recent publications include the following:
- “What’s Good For The Goose Is Good For The Gander,” IDC Quarterly (Fourth Quarter 2013)
- “A Split of Authority Regarding Whether Section 13-214.3 Applies to a Claim for Aiding and Abetting a Breach of Fiduciary Duty Brought by a Non-Client,” IDC Quarterly (Third Quarter 2013)
- “The Proper Analysis for Determining When Claims for Legal Malpractice and Breach of Fiduciary Duty are Duplicative,” IDC Quarterly (Second Quarter 2013)
- “Attorney’s Ethical Obligations Trump Insured’s Policy Defense,” IDC Quarterly (Fourth Quarter 2012)
- “E-discovery: Resolving issues through a collaborative approach,” Inside Counsel (November 13, 2012)
- “E-discovery: Potential cost shifting for document review,” Inside Counsel (October 16, 2012)
- “E-discovery: GCs must consider the obligation to preserve electronic documents maintained by third parties,” InsideCounsel.com (September 18, 2012)
- “Precautions Essential in Multinational Agreements,” Executive Counsel (n/k/a Today’s General Counsel) (June/July 2012)
- “The Need to Closely Review the Release Language Contained in Your Settlement Agreements,” IDC Quarterly (Fourth Quarter 2011)
- “Determining the Trigger Date for the Statute of Limitations in an Accounting Malpractice Action,” IDC Quarterly (First Quarter 2011).
As a faculty member for the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Marty speaks regularly at the “Basic Skills” seminar for new Illinois lawyers. He is also a Much Shelist delegate to the Ally Law global network of law firms and serves on the organization's Policy and Member Services Committee. While in law school, Marty served on the John Marshall Law Review, and won a Graduate School Scholarship Award and the Dean Herzog Scholarship.
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Society of Trial Lawyers
- Ally Law, Much Shelist Delegate
Marty is past president of the St. John Fisher Athletic Association.
Insights & Events
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2012-2022
- Leading Lawyers Network, Commercial Litigation, Professional Malpractice Defense Law: Including Legal/Technical/Financial, 2017-2022