Glenn D. Taxman
Glenn heads Much Shelist’s Orange County, California office and is a member of the firm's Management Committee.
Glenn maintains a diverse practice across the primary real estate disciplines of acquisitions, dispositions, development, leasing and financing. Depending on the transaction, Glenn has represented buyers, sellers, developers, borrowers, lenders, landlords and tenants. His experience in representing each side of a deal enables him to quickly navigate the transaction and counsel his clients on the best strategies and expectations. In addition, Glenn’s transactions involve property types spanning commercial/retail, industrial, office, manufactured housing/mobile home parks, vacant land and multi-family. As complementary components to Glenn’s real estate practice, Glenn has significant experience structuring and negotiating operating and investment entities; negotiating complex joint venture agreements, including syndication deals; and negotiating and structuring the sale or exchange of interests in corporations, LLCs, and partnerships that own or operate real estate assets. While Glenn’s core real estate markets are California and Illinois, he has handled transactions throughout the United States and in the United Kingdom, the Czech Republic, Germany, France, China and India.
In addition to his real estate disciplines, Glenn has additional corporate experience representing companies with loan workouts and restructurings. For many clients, he also handles the everyday corporate needs such as the drafting and negotiating of vendor/supply agreements. Glenn prides himself on being readily available to his clients and understanding the business aspects of every deal.
Representative transactions include:
- Glenn was part of a $52.3 million mixed-use transaction that gained national prominence. In this deal, he represented two separate clients in the sale of an industrial building and shopping center as part of forward and reverse 1031 tax-deferred exchanges for tenancy-in-common interests. The deal was reported to be the largest in the United States ever syndicated through the investment of unrelated multiple 1031 like-kind trade candidates.
- Represented the buyer/landlord in three separate sale lease-back transactions involving an aggregate of 30 single-tenant, net-leased fast food restaurants located across the United States.
- Represented the seller in a $120 million industrial portfolio sale.
- Represented the developer in the acquisition, construction financing, development and sale of a $60 million grocery anchored shopping center in Chicago, IL.
- Represented the developer in the acquisition, construction financing, joint venture agreement and development of a $70 million multi-family project located in the northern suburbs of Chicago, IL.
- Represented the buyer in five separate multi-family acquisitions in Los Angeles, CA that totaled over $70 million.
- Represented a landlord in negotiation of leases with tenants such as Walgreens, CVS, ULTA Cosmetics, LA Fitness, Fitness 19, Curves, X-Sport Fitness, Massage Envy, Dominick's Finer Foods (Safeway), Roundy's Supermarkets, Treasure Island Foods, Fresh & Easy, Portillo's, Subway, Sears Roebuck & Company, Mariano's, Starbucks, JPMorgan Chase, PNC Bank, Buffalo Wild Wings, Strike Holdings, AAA Auto Club of California, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, Arby's, Jared The Galleria of Jewelry, Pet Stuff, Red Mango, GNC, Supercuts, Panchero’s and Dunkin Donuts.
- Represented a buyer in the acquisition, financing, joint venture agreement and ultimate disposition of manufactured housing communities/mobile home parks/RV parks in California, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan and New York having an aggregate value in excess of $100 million.
- Represents a publicly traded aerospace company in its leasing transactions throughout the United States and across the globe.
- Represents a nationally recognized aluminum foil bakeware products manufacturer in all aspects of ongoing operations.
- Represents a regional bread bakery company in all aspects of ongoing operations.
- Represents Chicago based bank in various real estate financing (including construction) projects throughout California.
- Represents California based hard-money lender in various real estate financing projects in the western United States.
- Represents real estate training seminar company in all aspects of ongoing operations.
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
Glenn is involved with the Special Kids Network, a charitable organization that provides financial aid to Keshet School in support of its unique curriculum for children with special needs who are unable to attend mainstream schools.
He is also an 11-year board member and past Regional Commissioner for Region 57 of the American Youth Soccer Organization.
Insights & Events
- 40 Real Estate Professionals Under 40 to Watch, Real Estate Chicago, 2003
- Illinois Super Lawyers–Rising Stars, 2008-2012