Intentional Tort & Catastrophic Injury
We have handled hundreds of general liability cases for individuals and public, private and not-for-profit entities, involving allegations of serious personal injury, wrongful death and property damage. Our lawyers have also successfully resolved cases ranging from sexual assaults to complex property damage and catastrophic personal injury matters, as well as helping clients address various ordinance violations.
Personal Injury Defense
We defend service providers, property owners, public utilities, distributors, municipal governments and other defendants against claims involving catastrophic injuries and multiple plaintiffs. These cases generally involve serious personal injury to employees, customers, visitors, tenants and other individuals, with injuries ranging from severe burns causing substantial scarring, to brain damage resulting in permanent functional disability and death.
We have represented property developers, owners and managers in premises liability and negligence claims based on allegations of inadequate security and involving injuries suffered in common areas, elevators, lessee space, and elsewhere. We have provided legal guidance to residential property owners in cases involving injuries suffered by tenants and guests on premises, including carbon monoxide exposure and lead-based paint liability claims.
- Represented a chemical contractor sued in multiple wrongful death and personal injury actions for alleged negligent supervision of chemical processes and failure to warn. Action involved allegations of racial discrimination and seeks punitive damages
- Defended a Fortune 500 national retailer in a construction negligence action filed by a worker who fractured his pelvis, several vertebrae and his leg when he fell through a hole in a platform on which he was working in connection with the construction of an automotive center. Summary judgment in favor of our client was affirmed on appeal
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a multinational chemical manufacturer in a Structural Work Act case filed by a worker who fractured both legs, herniated a disc (which required surgery), and was permanently disabled as a result of a fall from a platform he was working on during the renovation of a plant
- Represented several institutional clients in various intentional tort matters involving claims of physical injury, alleged sexual abuse and death
- Represented the corporate owner of a radio station sued in connection with a highly publicized nightclub disaster in which 21 people lost their lives
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a real estate ownership and management company in a carbon monoxide exposure case. The plaintiff, a tenant in a residential unit, claimed that her oven leaked carbon monoxide, causing her emotional distress and other non-specific medical injuries
- Defended a large landscaping company in a negligence action filed by an individual who was severely injured after being struck by a motor vehicle while crossing a major thoroughfare in Chicago