In every industry, rules and policies often evolve. For the cannabis industry, however, the basic rules are still being written. In Illinois and around the country, clients need legal advisors who can help them make intelligent decisions today, prepare for inevitable legislative and regulatory changes, and anticipate the demands of a rapidly growing industry.
We advise clients in three key sectors of the cannabis industry:
- Cannabis industry businesses, including growers, dispensaries, retailers, banking institutions, individual investors and investment groups
The cannabis industry offers business owners and investors a unique opportunity to integrate their products and services into this new market. However, supply and demand are unpredictable and legislators, regulators, law enforcement officials and tax authorities continue to refine the laws and policies that will affect the industry. We help clients address day-to-day operational regulatory concerns and develop long-term strategies for success.
- Health care providers, including health systems, hospitals, medical professionals and providers, insurers and related patient groups
For health care providers, patient care comes first. Drawing on the experience of Much Shelist’s team of health care attorneys, we help clients establish best practices in a broad range of operational, transactional and regulatory areas.
- State agencies and local governments
We have worked with authorities at every level of government to develop and implement rational laws, regulations and policies, foster local economies and protect the public interest. We also help clients develop communications strategies that deliver clear and effective public messaging and contribute to public discourse.
We leverage our full-service model to address the complete range of business and legal issues that clients in the cannabis industry face:
- Business counseling and structuring
- Government licensure and certification, accreditation surveys and regulatory compliance
- Federal, state and law enforcement inquiries and investigations
- Debt and equity financing, and private equity representation
- Federal and state income and sales tax reporting
- Government relations and lobbying
- Intellectual property prosecution and protection, including patents, copyrights and trademarks
- Labor and employment issues
- Marketing strategy and media relations counseling
- Municipal law, real estate transactions and zoning compliance